The Movie Oracle: Baby Mama (2008)

The gods are coming back?

Dionysos, god of wine: Yes, we are! Long ago the gods grew weary of man's problems and "outsourced" our duties to upstart religions. But retirement got boring and now we're turning once again to the mortal realm, and finding it a very different world. Where to begin getting in touch with this new culture? With movies, of course!

Athena, goddess of wisdom: And other things. I look out for social issues, Dio for aesthetics. Apollo goes for the intellectual, Ares for action, Hera for family values, and so on. Each god gives their unique view on today's cinema and society.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Baby Mama (2008)


Two thumbs up, one thumb down

Ares: I only watched it to get Aphrodite in the sack (it worked, by the way!). But um... the movie suffered from a lack of explosions. Thumbs down.


Aphrodite: What? You were laughing all the way through! You can't say you didn't like Poehler's low-brow trailer trash antics, and I know you giggled at Steve Martin as a touchy-feely, New Age health food guru! Hmph. Men. Personally, I thought Tina Fey's jokes were spot on for the modern independent woman, even if over the heads of certain tasteless war gods. Thumbs up.

Dionysos: You know, I had a surrogate mother, after a fashion. When my mother Semele, pregnant with me, demanded Zeus reveal himself in all his glory, she was consumed by lightning. But Zeus rescued me from the ashes and carried me to term by sewing me into his own thigh. I wonder if Hollywood has ever considered a story like that? Anyway, I enjoyed the movie. I thought the jokes were brilliant, regardless of the viewer's gender. Thumbs up.

SNL star Tina Fey plays a business woman successful at all but one thing: having a baby. In desperation she turns to a surrogate mother program. There she meets her surrogate-to-be: a crude-mannered girl evoked by Amy Poehler (also from SNL). Conflict and comedy ensue in this modern woman's version of the Odd Couple.
Director: Michael McCullers
Cast: Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Greg Kinnear, Romany Malco, Dax Shepard, Steve Martin, Sigourney Weaver

Rotten Tomatoes rating: 61% fresh
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get it from Baby Mama

DID YOU KNOW? Dionysos was called Twice-born for his miraculous birth. Through this and other stories he became a god of resurrection. Some scholars believe this influenced later Christian ideas.

No comments: